Friday, September 5, 2014

Artist Statement

My name is Mark Jason Marban and I'm a Journalism major at Hunter College. Growing up, I was interested with so many things including television, movies, and video games. Not much has changed since then. I still get excited when summer ends because it means a lot of shows return with new episodes. If there's a comic book movie coming out, I'm always willing to throw out previous plans to watch that movie on opening weekend. When a video game I'm excited to play is coming out soon, I mentally prepare how much time I can invest in it upon the week I get it.

But where does journalism fit among my other interests? In 7th grade, my English teacher Ms. South was so supportive of my writing despite my self-critiques. She was even a bit disappointed when I didn't enter my school's spelling bee. Fast forward to my senior year of high school when I've written so many poems and short stories for school and for leisure. I needed an elective so I joined the journalism class and it was the first time I realized that I could possibly write for a living. I wrote movie and video game reviews for the entertainment section.

Coming into 160, I was not sure how or if I could produce a piece of journalism with other forms of media infused in it. However, that became my goal. I want to be able to tell stories that involve my interests as well as new forms of media so that it becomes unique both in use of technique and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment